Home >> Mayiladuthurai District

Mayiladuthurai District

Mayiladuthurai District

About Mayiladuthurai District and Its History

  • Mayiladuthurai district was separated from Nagapattinam on 28.12.2020 by the honorable Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu.
  • The region is called Mayiladuthurai because Goddess Parvati took the form of a peacock and floated in the river Cauvery to worship Lord Shiva. The city was known as "Mayurapuram" till the 18th century and then as "Mayavaram" in 1982 when Mr. MGR was the Chief Minister, a decree was issued to change the name to "Mayiladuthurai".
  • Spiritual Places Vaideeswaran Temple, Keezhaperumpallam, and Navagraha are very close to Mayiladuthurai city.
  • Mahatma Gandhiji set his feet three times in 1915, 1921, and 1927 in this district. Thillaiyadi Valliammai, who was a martyr who did charity work in South Africa with Gandhi, was born here. A memorial hall for "Thillaiyadi Valliammai" has also been built by the Tamil Nadu government.
  • Mayiladuthurai Court and Sub Collector Office has a history of 100 years.
  • The Municipal Higher Secondary School here is a 148-year-old school and has produced some of the best and most renowned academicians and is located in the heart of the city.
  • Mayiladuthurai became a major railway junction when the Chennai-Tuticorin railway was laid in 1877.
  • Agriculture and fishing are the main occupations in the Mayiladuthurai district.
  • There are 26 fishing villages in the Mayiladuthurai district including Palayar, Thirumullaivasal, Poompuhar, and Tharangambadi. Through these, several crores of rupees of fish are exported per day.
  • The ancient tourist places of Poombukar and Tharangambadi are also located here. It is also a spiritual district full of many temples including Shiva Temples and Divya Desams.

Mayiladuthurai District Complete Details

Mayiladuthurai District Information
Total Area 1,169.3 sq.kms
Total Population 9,18,356
Population Density 782/km2
Average Annual Rainfall 1109 mm
Climate Condition 34.7*c Maximum and 21.4*c Minimum
STD Landline Code 04364
Pin Codes 609***
Nearest Airport Puducherry Airport Pondicherry (116 km from Mayiladuthurai)
Bus Stand Mayiladuthurai Bus Stand, Kamarajar Salai, Mayiladuthurai
Railway Station Mayiladuthurai Junction railway station, Koranad, Mayiladuthurai
Mayiladuthurai District Court Contact Number
Collector Office Phone Number, Email id 04364 290760, collr-myd@nic.in
District Health Officer Dial Number 9486195002
District Education Office Telephone Number, Email id 04364 223714, deomym@nic.in
District Employment Office Number, Email id : 04364 223714, 9942022649, deomym@nic.in
Revenue Officer Phone Number 04364 290761
Registrar Office Phone Number, Email id 04364 222915, dromayiladuthurai@tnreginet.net
District Taluk List 4 Taluks (Mayiladuthurai, Kuthalam, Sirkali and Tharangambadi)
Head Post Office Phone Number 04364 222094
Mayiladuthurai Emergency Helpline Numbers Click Here Mayiladuthurai Emergency Numbers

Mayiladuthurai Famous Tourist Attractions & Places of Interest

Poompuhar (Puhar)
Kaveri Boompattinam, which was the capital of the Chola kingdom, is said to have changed to Poompuhar over time. The place where Kovalan and Kannagi were lived. One of the must-see places is the art gallery, where Silappathikaram story is well explained and designed. On the way from Mayiladuthurai to Nagai, Poompuhar is located. You can also go from Nagapattinam.

In the 16th century, the Danish, who entered India for trade, settled in Tharangambadi and built a fort there. Later it came under British control. Currently it is being preserved by the Department of Archeology of Tamil Nadu Government. The Masila Mani Nath temple, built here by the Pandya king in the early 14th century, is one of the highlights of Tharangambadi, but is dilapidated due to its coastal location. Tharangambadi can be reached by a 2-hour drive from Mayiladuthurai and 1 hour drive from Nagapattinam.

The city of Lord Shiva, whose songs were sung by four saint poets such as Appar, Sundarar, Sammandar, and Manikkavasakar. Main god of this temple is named as Suvedaranyeswarar. This place is near Vaitheeswaran temple.

Vaitheeswaran Temple
The name of the main god here is Vaitheeswara Nadhar. Every year people visit this temple from the city by carts to worship without fail. It is located between Sirkazhi and Mayiladuthurai. Also well known for Angarahan temple.

Devotees can reach Thirukadaiyur from Nagapattinam in 75 Minutes. Thirukadaiyur is located next to Tharangambadi. A place where Lord Shiva appeared to Markandeyan. Abirami Bhattar who sung abirami anthadi is hailed from Thirukadaiyur. Devotees from all over India come to celebrate Shastiapthapoorthi (60th marriage) festival in this temple.

Sirkazhi stands out as one of the oldest and famous Shiva shrines in Tamil Nadu. Saint poet thirugnanasambandar lived here. This temple is about 1/2 hour drive from Chidambaram.

Other Tourist Places and Destinations in Mayiladuthurai District

  • Thirumullaivasal Temple
  • Keelaperumpallam Temples
  • Anjaneyar Temple Ananthamangalam
  • Thirumanancheri Kalyana Sundareshwarar Temple
  • Arulmigu Parimala Ranganathar Temple Thiruindalur

Mayiladuthurai District Map Directions :
Mayiladuthurai District Political Map Updated